As a self proclaimed fitness lover, there is something I must admit.
I don’t necessarily love working out.
What I do love are the results, and how I feel AFTER each workout.
Below I share the common things I tell myself that help me power through a workout when it’s the last thing I feel like doing.
I understand this is the struggle for most, so I hope it helps you!
THINGS I DO OR TELL MYSELF BEFORE A WORKOUT
1. "I am so lucky to able legs, an able body, and that I am ABLE to workout"
2. "I don't have to, I GET to"
3. "The sooner I start it, the sooner I get it over with" (Just stop procrastinating and do it!)
4. I think of all the times I didn't want to workout, and how that feeling will lift once I start moving.. and how rewarding the feeling after is!
5. I seize the moment as an opportunity to overcome my negative thoughts and strengthen my will, determination, and self discipline.
THINGS I DO OR TELL MYSELF DURING A WORKOUT
1. I focus on simply moving my body and I repeat to myself "it feels good to move my body"
2. I allow myself to go as slow as I need to go to just get through the moves. I do whatever I can in that moment. I give myself little breaks as needed, but I just don't stop or give up.
3. I talk out loud like I'm training myself or teaching a class. Example: "OK, Jolie, now it's Burpie time! Let's aim for 10 burpies, you can do it! Here's 1! Ok, 9 more!.."
4. I repeat other positive mantras to myself-- whatever comes to my head- simple but effective-- "I got this!", or "YOU CAN DO IT!", or "I AM NOT LAZY".
5. I take deep breaths and focus on my breath. I make sure I'm getting in lots of oxygen, and I stay present and focused through my in and out breath.
You are so much stronger then your thoughts. It's all a mental game, really. You need to encourage yourself and be your own BFF, motivator, cheerleading, and trainer, every day. Motivate yourself from a place of love.